International Medical Graduates
Frequently Asked Questions
- Does VCFMR accept International Medical School Graduates?
- Does VCFMR require USMLE exams to be passed with a minimum score?
No, but all exams should be passed on the first attempt.
- Is clinical experience in the United States required?
There are no specific requirements for US clinical experience, but letters of recommendation from US training programs are advisable.
- Does VCFMR sponsor visas for training purposes?
No, the program does not sponsor visas. The applicant must be able to license in the state of Kansas ( http://www.ksbha.org ).
- Is ECFMG certification required before applying to the program and/or interviewing?
ECFMG certification is not required to apply or interview, but is required prior to starting residency.
- What is the maximum preferred number of years since graduation from medical school?
We do not grant interviews to applicants more than ONE year out from medical school graduation.
- Does VCFMR offer externships or observerships?
- How do I apply for a position with VCFMR?
We accept applications through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS).
- When are applications accepted through ERAS?
Applications may be submitted September 1st through October 31st for positions at VCFMR.
- What type of a program is VCFMR?
VCFMR is an unopposed, community-based family medicine training program.
- How many positions does VCFMR have?
The program accepts 18 interns per class.
- Does VCFMR participate in the couples match?
- Does VCFMR extend pre-match offers?
American Association of Family Physicians website with a list of helpful tips and resources for ECFMG students and graduates seeking to gain entrance into a U.S. family medicine residency training program
American Medical Association – Department of IMG Services:
Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates: